Saturday, February 28, 2009

Soccer ain't for sissies!

So my oldest is going be the next Beckham. Ok, not so much. He is, however, playing on a recreational soccer league where we live. RECREATIONAL. Webster's Dictionary defines recreational as "A characteristic of recreation". Recreation is defined as "a means of refreshment or diversion". Diversion, people. Diversion. Read: FUN! As in, not serious, NOT professional, NOT the be all, end all of anyone's world....at least it shouldn't be. Can someone PLEASE tell that to the parents?

My favorite quote from last week's game was "Someone needs to pull that kid out of the game. He stinks!". Luckily for this gentleman, my child was not on the field. The mother bear in me reared her ugly head anyway, and I had to bite my tongue HARD not to say anything to him. Can you IMAGINE how a child would feel hearing something like that? Can you imagine yours truly going to jail over a brawl on the sidelines? Well, actually, I can imagine that, and the thought of getting a few smacks in is kinda appealing!

So a word to all you sports fanatic, living through your children parents out there: It's RECREATIONAL! It's meant to be fun! It's supposed to teach kids about working as a team, and as a side benefit, some basic soccer skills. Take a clue from the referees....they're not even keeping score!!

No comments: