Friday, August 28, 2009

Furniture

So, the time has come for little O to become big O, and get a "big boy" bed. Last weekend, we went as a family to the furniture store and picked out a new bed. The bed was scheduled to be delivered between 11-3 on Thursday. I HATE four hour windows...I really do. I have things to do, and a four hour window in the middle of my day is a true annoyance. However, in the interest of receiving the bed in a timely manner, I agreed to their demands.

Thursday morning arrived. I showered early, got the really big kids off to school, and at 9:21 am, loaded O, complete with new crocs, into the van for a road trip to the grocery store. I walked in the store, plopped two bunches of grapes in my cart, and then my cell phone rang. Normally I would ignore it, but I didn't recognize the number, so I decided to answer. Who was it, you ask? The furniture delivery people, of course. They were going to be at my house in 30 minutes. Looking at the time, they should arrive by 10:02 am, 58 minutes early. I groaned, then agreed to the time.

The next 17 minutes looked like scenes from one of those mad dash grocery shows. I ran through the store, throwing random items in my cart, and made it to the cashier. She rang us up, and sent us on our way. $80 later, we were out the door, and did not have all that we needed, of course! I raced home (not speeding) and made it there at 9:59am, three minutes before their estimated arrival.

I quickly unloaded the cold groceries, grabbed the car keys to move the spare car out of their way, then plopped down to wait. And wait. And wait. After about twenty minutes, I was pretty irritated. Forty-five minutes in REALLY had me steaming, and by the one hour, fifteen minute mark, I was spitting nails.

93 minutes AFTER their proposed arrival time, my furniture arrived. I took the high road, and decided not to scream at the delivery people. They were in and out in under fifteen minutes, thankfully. Not ten minutes later, I received an automated call from the furniture store, wanting me to rate my experience. I hung up on the recording. Trust me, random furniture store people, you did NOT want me to rate this experience! The icing on the cake? They are coming back in a month to deliver the rest of the back-ordered furniture-can't wait!

No comments: