Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I'm drowning!

We are murdering trees at an alarming rate, and today I feel like an entire forest has died in my office. There are papers of some kind on EVERY horizontal surface. I dread moving one piece of paper for fear of shifting a dozen others, and causing a catastrophic paper mountain collapse!

Here are a few examples of the types of paper I am being suffocated by:

Receipts~I have receipts for EVERYTHING....just in arm's reach I see one for Sonic, and another for the grocery store. K's dream is that I would reconcile each of these receipts to my credit card statement. The intent is there-thus the plethora of receipts. I just never actually get around to the reconciliation part. The problem with this non-system is that big ticket item receipts sometimes get lost in the shuffle.

Schoolwork/artwork~ I am overrun with children's work from school. Between J & G, I have a stack two inches thick, and it's only November! I truly do throw a lot of it away, but there are still so many things I just can't part with! Can you imagine how bad it's going to get when O starts contributing?

Notes~ I write notes to myself everywhere. I scribble down random phone numbers, write down websites I want to visit, leave reminders for things that need to get done...you get the picture. I write on any available piece of paper, which means I can't throw anything away until I have looked at everything!

Bills~I am actually pretty good at organizing these, but there are a stack of unpaid bills tucked under the computer monitor. I clear them out once a week. (OK, once every two months...but I pay them once a week!)

I'm not sure what the solution is. Oprah told me it was The Container Store. She may be right, but I think there are deeper issues here...

No comments: