Friday, November 14, 2008

Pavo vs. Guajalote

I thought I would take this opportunity to talk about something that I am obsessed with: Google. No, this is not a brazenly obvious plug for Google, who is inextricably linked to this blog. I'm simply waxing poetic about my latest and greatest love, the Google search engine.

G came home with a picture of a turkey yesterday. He colored it in his preschool Spanish class. Underneath the brown & orange turkey was the phrase "El pavo". I actually noticed this in the preschool hall, and said to myself (out loud, of course) "I thought 'guajalote' was the Spanish word for turkey...hmmmm".

I filed this away for future Google reference, and went about my day. Later, I was on the phone with C, when I suddenly remembered the turkey dilemma. Surprisingly, C had an opinion on the matter. (She doesn't speak Spanish) She said that it was definitely guajalote, because they were having some kind of Guajalote Festival in her small town. We turned to Google for the definitive answer.

In a few seconds, I was on the search engine, typing in "turkey in Spanish". 'El Pavo' popped up immediately. Hummpphh, I thought, we were wrong! I am NEVER wrong! I dug deeper, and discovered a website written all in Spanish. I'm a bit rusty, but my impression is that the website was discussing the origin of the word 'guajalote'. I new I had hit pay dirt, but since the "pay dirt" was in Spanish, I couldn't be sure.

Then, slowly and magically, my eyes scrolled up. I noticed a small link that said "translate". I clicked it faster than any of you can say guajalote, and there was my proof in English! Guajalote is indeed the Mexican word for turkey! El Pavo is the Spanish word for turkey as well, so I suppose it ended in a draw. Nevertheless, I feel vindicated.

No comments: