Monday, November 17, 2008

You're SMOTHERING them!!

I can hardly believe that I made it an entire week into this blog without discussing the most AGGRAVATING part of my day as a SAHM-the child drop-off zone at our local elementary school.

Let me start by stating what might not be obvious to all of you~we have NO bus service in our neighborhood. Why, you ask? Because we can SEE the elementary school from our house, and walk there in less than 10 minutes. This is a brave new world to city folk like us, but we are slowly adjusting.

I will also add that we attempted the whole "walking to school as a family" thing, and that lasted about two days. Imagine if you will cramming a wiggly toddler into a stroller, and simultaneously trying to convince a preschooler that he CAN walk all the way to the school, and no, I am not going to carry him. The background noise to this is a gradeschooler screaming "Hurry UP! We are going to be LATE for school!" I think the reason that we use the drop-off should be clear.

So, fast forward to this morning (ok, this happens EVERY morning). We are in line with the 50 bazillion other moms and dads, dropping their precious bundles off at school. I'm the third vehicle back. The first vehicle is a minivan. The van door opens, and out pops a little tot, probably a kindergartner. (It's two months into school at this point:remember this!) The precocious tot toddles towards the school in a zig zag pattern, staring off into space. The van door closes, and I put my vehicle in drive, preparing to get the heck out of Dodge. The lead minivan rolls forward, then abruptly stops. I slam on my brakes, wondering what the HECK....but I unfortunately already know. They want to WATCH their little twit walk ALL the way into the building!

Seriously? We are TWO months into school! If this kid has not figured out how to get into the building at this point, there is a REAL problem! Besides, how is watching them going to get them in the building? Is this mom practicing telekinesis? If making sure your child gets in the building is this much of a priority to you, park, get your lazy, sweatpants-clad, croc-wearing booty OUT of car, and walk your child into the school!!!

No comments: